So many delicious recipes, such as cheesecake recipes, require you to crush graham crackers. You can choose to buy pre-crushed graham crackers, but it’s best to do it yourself. So, how exactly do you crush graham crackers?
Here are the 5 best ways to crush graham crackers:
- Use a food processor.
- Crush graham crackers in a blender.
- Use a rolling pin.
- Consider using a strong, heavy object.
- Use your hands to crush the crackers.
This article will go into each of these methods in more detail. To learn more about how to crush graham crackers, be sure to keep reading.
1. Use a Food Processor
Using a food processor is the best way to crush graham crackers. It’s low effort and super quick, so you should consider using this method if you have a food processor. A food processor is perfect if you don’t want to waste any time.
I’ll explain how to use a food processor to crush graham crackers further down in this article, so be sure to read down to the end.
2. Crush Graham Crackers in a Blender
If you don’t have a food processor but have a blender, you can use it to crush graham crackers. You can do it in the same way that you would with a food processor, so it’s super easy.
All you must do is pulse the graham crackers intermittently until they become crumbly, like bread crumbs. Like using a food processor, using a blender is quick and a handy way to crush your graham crackers.
3. Use a Rolling Pin
A rolling pin is a common kitchen utensil, so there’s a chance that you have one lying around your home somewhere. You can use it to crush your graham crackers if you do have one.
Here are the steps on how to use a rolling pin to crush graham crackers:
- Get a plastic bag ready. The best way to use a rolling pin to crush graham crackers is to put the crackers in a plastic ziplock bag. If you don’t have a ziplock one, you can use a different plastic bag, but make sure the crackers can’t spill out when you’re crushing them.
- Remove the air from the bag. Once you put the graham crackers in the plastic bag, remove as much air as possible. If you leave too much air, the bag could burst; this would cause the crumbs to spill out, and it can make a mess!
- Roll or smash the graham crackers. You can roll the rolling pin over the bag of graham crackers, or you can beat them with it. It’s up to you what to do, but it’s slightly easier to smash the crackers using the end of the rolling pin.
- Continue smashing until the graham crackers turn into crumbs. It may take a few minutes, depending on your strength. But once the graham crackers are completely crumbly, they’re ready to go.
4. Consider Using a Strong, Heavy Object
Any sturdy object heavy enough to crush crackers will do the trick. If you use this method, it’s the same as using a rolling pin.
Here are some different household items you can use to crush graham crackers:
- Coffee cup: Put the crackers in a plastic bag and push a coffee cup over them; doing this may take a while, but it works if you have nothing else.
- Potato masher: Once your graham crackers are in a plastic bag, press down on them with a potato masher.
- Wooden spoon: Use a large wooden spoon to press down on your graham crackers.
- Tin can: You can try to use a full and unopened tin can to crush graham crackers; doing this may take a while, especially if you need to crush many crackers.
5. Use Your Hands To Crush the Crackers
If all else fails, you can try to use your hands to crush graham crackers; this is the last thing you should try, but it can work if you have patience and some strength.
Here are the steps on how to crush graham crackers using your hands:
- Place the uncrushed graham crackers in a ziplock plastic bag.
- Remove as much air as possible from the plastic bag; doing so prevents it from bursting.
- Use your hands to roll over the crackers by focusing the weight on your hands. Additionally, you can clench your fist and smash them. Be careful when doing this because you don’t want to injure your hands.
Which Is Better for Crushing Graham Crackers: Food Processor or Blender?
Generally, blenders are most helpful in making liquids, such as smoothies. On the other hand, food processors are usually more appropriate for solid foods.
A food processor is better for crushing graham crackers since they’ll turn crumbly rather than liquidy when blended. So, if you have a food processor and a blender, it would make more sense to use the food processor. But if you only have a blender, it’s still OK to use it.
How To Crush Graham Crackers in Food Processor (if It Can and Should Be Done)
Here’s how to crush graham crackers in a food processor:
- Break up the graham crackers.
- Place the graham crackers in the food processor.
- Use intermittent pulsing for a few seconds, then blend until crumbly.
- Remove the graham crackers from the processor once they’ve turned into crumbs.
No Rolling Pin? Use a Food Processor!
The best way to crush graham crackers without a rolling pin is to use a food processor, and the second-best way to crush graham crackers is to use a blender. If you don’t have either of those, you can use another household item, such as a potato masher or tin can.
Although a rolling pin is a great way to crush graham crackers, there’s no need to go and buy one just for the sake of it. It’s very likely that you have a tin can or coffee cup, for example.
Anything that’s sturdy and has some weight to it will work well. You can even use your hands if you don’t have anything else.
Can I Crush Crackers in a Blender?
You can crush crackers in a blender quickly and easily. However, you should use a food processor if you have one. Food processors are more appropriate for blending solids, whereas blenders are more appropriate for blending liquids. But a blender is fine if you don’t have a processor.
Blenders are generally safe to use, but many people injure themselves every year from misuse. The most common injuries are cuts and lacerations on the fingers. Make sure never to touch the blade when blending your graham crackers.
A Hand Blender Is Also Appropriate for Crushing Crackers
If you only have a hand blender, you can use that instead of a stand blender. Just make sure you use a bowl that’s large enough because you don’t want to make a mess. Some crackers will likely fly out of the bowl if the bowl is too small.
A hand blender gives you more control, so it’s a decent alternative to a regular blender. However, stand blenders are much more powerful than hand blenders, so using a stand blender will be easier.
The best way to crush graham crackers is to use a food processor, but you can also try other ways to do it. Here are some key takeaways:
- A food processor is the best way to crush graham crackers.
- A blender is another great option.
- You can use other objects, such as a potato masher or an unopened tin can.
For more don’t miss 8 Best Substitutes For Cream Cheese In Cheesecake.
Anne James has a wealth of expertise in a wide array of interests, including quilting, cooking, gardening, camping, and making jelly.
She has a professional canning business and has been featured in the local newspaper, and has been her family canner for decades. Anyone growing up in the South knows that there is always a person in the family who has knowledge of the “old ways,” and this is exactly what Anne is.
With over 55 years of experience in these endeavors, she brings a level of hands-on knowledge that is hard to surpass.
Lovingly known as “Jelly Grandma” by her grandkids, Anne hopes your visit here has been a sweet one.