Omelets are one of the world’s most popular breakfast choices. They’re a good source of protein, come with many health benefits, and are super delicious. Whether you cooked a bit too much or just want to make them ahead, knowing whether it’s okay to eat one the following morning is a common concern.
It is safe to eat an omelet the next day as long as it did not sit out for more than 2 hours at room temperature. Cooked omelets can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 4 months. They should be stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
I recommend using an airtight container, like this one from Amazon, for both fridge and freezer storage.
The rest of the article will provide more details on storing omelets, how to reheat them properly, and how to tell if one has gone bad. Please read on to learn everything you need to know!
Is It Safe to Reheat an Omelet?
It is definitely safe to reheat an omelet. In fact, there are many benefits to doing so, such as:
- Reheating an omelet is ridiculously simple
- It makes a tremendous pre-prepared meal
- It keeps its moisture
- It doesn’t lose its flavor
- Leftover or prepared, you can enjoy it either way
If you lead a busy lifestyle, omelets are a perfect meal option. It’s feeling, doesn’t get ruined, and is super healthy. The best part is, you don’t have to make the same omelet every single day. You can get really creative with it, which makes it all the more fun.
Here’s a little fun fact you may not have known. Omelets can actually freeze and reheat really well. You can reheat an omelet on the stove, bake it, or pop it in the microwave.
Now that you know that reheating an omelet is totally safe. You actually need to reheat it.
The Best Way to Reheat an Omelette
Omelets are easy to make and reheat, but you have to do it correctly so that you avoid jeopardizing their texture.
Here’s how to reheat your omelet safely:
- Microwave- The easiest option, make sure you place it in a microwavable dish, wrap it in a paper towel, and heat it for 1-2 minutes. If you are reheating a frozen omelet, keep it for 2 minutes. The best way is to heat it in 30-second intervals flipping it each time.
- Stove- Heat your skillet and toss in your omelet (I told you it was easy). You can add butter or olive oil if you wish but, omelets tend to keep their own moisture. Heat your omelet for 2 minutes on each side, flipping it occasionally.
- Oven- Heat your oven and place your omelet on a baking tray. Make sure you use a baking sheet, so your omelet does not stick. Bake it for about 10 minutes, or until you are happy it is heated sufficiently.
How Long Can an Omelet Stay Out of the Fridge?
According to the FDA, you should never leave cooked eggs or any type of eggs dishes out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. If you live in a warm climate, you should never leave an omelet or egg dish out for more than 1 hour at a temperature over 90 °F.
That’s because bacteria can proliferate quickly in warm temperatures.
It is safe to keep your omelet in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3-4 days. When storing them in the refrigerator, be sure to store them in a tight container or airtight bag. Ziplock bags are great for storing omelets. You can even freeze your omelet for up to 4 months.
The tighter you keep them, the fresher your omelet will stay. I recommend this airtight storage container, found on Amazon. I love the locking tabs, which let you know for sure if the food is sealed in tight.
How to Tell if an Omelette Has Gone Bad
There are ways to know if an egg has gone bad even before it is cooked.
Here are 4 ways to tell:
- Do the bowl test- If you place an egg in a bowl of cold water and it floats to the top, that means it’s stale and a rotten egg. The freshest eggs will stay at the bottom. As long as it doesn’t float all the way to the top, it is fine.
- Shake it- If you hear the liquid shaking around, it’s time to throw out your egg.
- Notice the white- Although the egg white is still edible, even if it’s spread out thinner once cracked, it isn’t the freshest. A fresh egg will have a thick egg white base when it is cooking.
- Smell test- If you crack an egg and it has a strong unmissable pungent smell, throw it out immediately. Not only is it a bad egg, but a rotten one.
Your omelet won’t go bad unless you have used a rotten egg before cooking or have left it out for too long without the fridge.
Can You Get Food Poisoning From an Omelette?
If you have used fresh eggs, popped your omelet in the fridge, and haven’t left it out on the countertop, it is unlikely that you will get food poisoning. However, the main concern with any egg dishes is salmonella.
Salmonella food poisoning is dangerous and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Eggs can contain salmonella. Usually, people start to develop symptoms 12-72 hours after contracting salmonella. Symptoms include fever, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal cramps.
Salmonella poisoning can be severe. So, if you start to feel like you develop symptoms, you should seek medical attention immediately.
The bacteria can actually get inside the egg and contaminate it even before it is cracked. That’s why it is vital to use the freshest eggs from the get-go. To be on the safe side, the fresher, the better.
Pro Tip: Don’t wash your eggs. Store them in the refrigerator and use them within 4-5 weeks.
Health Benefits of Omelets
Omelets are so versatile you can make them any way you wish.
But, did you know that having a protein-rich breakfast will help you reduce your carb intake throughout the day? This will help you stay fuller for longer.
The great thing about eggs is that you can cook them in many different ways, sunnyside, boiled, scrambled, etc.
Omelets are an excellent option to include in your diet. They are great for on-the-go, have so much versatility, and so ridiculously easy to make, and most of all, are delicious.
To have the best omelet experience ever, use the freshest eggs, store them correctly, and enjoy the taste and all the health benefits.
The Final Bite
Omelets aren’t just for breakfast. They make a good meal option for any time of day. One of my favorite restaurants in the world is in Clayton, New York, in the Thousand Islands. It’s called the Coffee Cove. They have some of the best omelets I’ve ever tried.
Fortunately, they are so good there are never any leftovers. But if there were, I wouldn’t hesitate to throw them in the fridge and enjoy them all over again the next morning.
I hope this article has been helpful. Thanks for stoppin’ by!
Related How Long Can A Sandwich Sit Out Unrefrigerated?
Anne James has a wealth of expertise in a wide array of interests, including quilting, cooking, gardening, camping, and making jelly.
She has a professional canning business and has been featured in the local newspaper, and has been her family canner for decades. Anyone growing up in the South knows that there is always a person in the family who has knowledge of the “old ways,” and this is exactly what Anne is.
With over 55 years of experience in these endeavors, she brings a level of hands-on knowledge that is hard to surpass.
Lovingly known as “Jelly Grandma” by her grandkids, Anne hopes your visit here has been a sweet one.